Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sony Busted for Payola

Finally, an explanation for terrible radio
Just in from Pitchfork's Crimewatch: New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer has forced Sony BMG Music Entertainment to stop paying radio stations for airplay. In case you didn't know, this practice known as payola, is illegal. "Our investigation shows that, contrary to listener expectations that songs are selected for airplay based on artistic merit and popularity, air time is often determined by undisclosed payoffs to radio stations and their employees," Spitzer said.
Songs on the radio aren't based on their artistic merit? Surly there must be a mistake. R. Kelly, Brittany Spears, Shakira, and Good Charlotte are all on labels owned by Sony BMG. Their music is beyond artful. Infact i will quote "Ignition," to show R Kelly's artistic prowess.
Now I'm not tryin' to be rude
But hey, pretty girl, I'm feelin' you
The way you do the things you do
Reminds me of my Lexus Coupe
That's why I'm all up in your grill
Tryin' to get you to a hotel
You must be a football coach
The way you got me playin' the field
Truly amazing. But wait, surely the greatest and most influential band to ever exist, Audioslave, was not part of the payola scandal. Any mortal would die just to listen to their music if but just once.
Another [email], from an Epic employee to a Clear Channel programmer looked like this: "WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET AUDIOSLAVE ON WKSS THIS WEEK?!!? Whatever you can dream up, I can make it happen."
Oh god, everything is turning black. Tell my MP3s i love them. "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to decieve"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home