Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Call to Prayer

Is it any worse for a mosque to issue, via loudspeaker, the call to prayer 5 times daily than it is for a church to play its bells? Muslims near Detroit recently had a petition approved for exactly this: [Detroit Mosque]. On the other hand, it always amuses me when people talk about their "constitutional rights." I doubt most people have read the constitution:

"My main objection is simple," she said. "I don't want to be told that Allah is the true and only God five times a day, 365 days a year. It's against my constitutional rights to have to listen to another religion evangelize in my ear."

and

"Everyone talks about their rights," Mr. Schultz said. "The rights of Christians have been stripped from them. Last week there were Muslims praying downstairs, in a public building. If Christians tried to do that, the A.C.L.U. would shut us down."

Well?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home