Thursday, September 30, 2004

So shines a good deed in a weary world. -- Willburt R. Wonka, Esq.

via worldchanging:

the newscientist interviews dr. victoria hale, founder and ceo of oneworld health -- a non-profit pharma:

A non-profit drugs company sounds an unlikely idea. How did you come up with it?

When I was with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) I learned about "orphan" diseases, defined as diseases that fewer than 200,000 people in the US suffer from. I thought it strange that outside the US, some of these diseases are enormous. For instance, there are about 1000 cases of malaria in the US, and 500 or 600 million cases worldwide. You need to take your American eyeglasses off and consider the whole world...
[...]
I collapsed in tears when I left Bihar in India after the first trip. It was just so overwhelming. At that point I committed to this seriously. I didn't know if the world was ready for a non-profit pharmaceutical company. But I was ready to give 110 per cent to it.
[...]
...I had matured to the point where I knew the question was not whether it would be successful and was I going to change the world, it was whether I was willing to commit everything I had to make it work. It was a question of courage. It was something that had been growing in me all of my professional life.


it's an interesting interview. more importantly, this is a fascinating & heart-warming turn of events....i hope it works out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home